Registration for the 2016 ASC Student Supercomputer Challenge (ASC16) has been officially launched worldwide. Meanwhile, ASC16 committee issues the call for competition application; this initiative provides the unique opportunity for organizations and individuals with acceptable application examples.
ASC16 will be divided into three stages
- the first stage is registration and team set up, the due day will end by 5th January, 2016
- the second stage is preliminary contest and will be held between January and March in 2016. Each team has to submit a proposal according to the committee’s questions.
- the third stage is the finals and will be held in April in 2016. The finalist teams need to deploy and optimize a cluster supplied by Inpsur, under the competition rules, and finish: Linpack test, HPC application test and optimization, and presentation.
The final position will be selected by judgment committee, based on actual test results. According to the rules of the challenge, each registered team should be composed of one advisor and the five team members (all undergraduate students).
For the competition setting, there will be a total of six applications in ASC16, which includes three of them for the preliminary round, and three new applications, plus preliminary ones will be in the finals to challenge students’ capability of application understanding and innovation. In addition to Linpack test, the other five application tests will be called for public submission worldwide, which includes four applications optimization tests and one heterogeneous computing optimization test.
- Read more: How Do We Get More Kids into STEM?
At present, ASC16 has received a number of registered universities, covering the United States, China, Germany, Russia, Singapore, Australia and other countries and regions. The teams consist of the Tsinghua University, who was the champion of ISC, SC and ASC, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
ASC teams review
Mr. Zhai Jidong, advisor of Tsinghua team, said that” The experience of continuous participation in ASC, improved the skills and capability of team member, and it is the key for our championships on ISC, SC and ASC.”
- Read more: How Do We Keep Students in STEM
After four years’ experience of ASC, the team of Tsinghua University accumulated a deep knowledge on deployment of heterogeneous computing environment, optimization of multiple fields’ applications, selection and tuning of serial and parallel instruction.
ASC was established in 2012. After five years of development, it completed the ‘Triple Jump’ from China to Asia and Asia to the World. Now, it has become the most globally influential supercomputing events, as there were 152 international universities participated in ASC15.