Washington, DC — Some of the world’s top universities and researchers showcased their innovations to meet the challenges of Big Data and global team science at SC13, the 25th annual supercomputing conference, held November 17 to 21, 2013, at the Colorado Convention Center. SC is the largest international conference for high performance computing, networking, storage and analysis.
Researchers from the United States and around the world used the nation’s fastest research and education network — Internet2’s 100 Gigabit network — to present many of their solutions. Click http://bit.ly/Internet2_at_SC13 to see a list of demonstrations that took place at the Internet2 booth.
“Some of the world’s best scientists will demonstrate ways that Internet2’s 100G, SDN network delivers a new breed of tailored, effective services for researchers and educators,” said Stephen Wolff, Internet2’s chief technology officer just prior to the conference. “These presentations and demonstrations feature advanced science and research, next-generation networking technology, and international collaboration capabilities to create the latest innovations.”
Research, applications, collaborations, services and demonstrations powered by Internet2’s Network were featured throughout SC13. Demonstrations and presentations included:
- Clemson, Indiana and the University of Southern California leveraging the Internet2 Innovation Platform;
- The latest SDN applications, including OpenFlow controllers working across network domains and the 2013 Innovative Application Awards;
- Aspera, ExoGENI, Globus Online, Microsoft, OpenStack, Rackspace and RENCI will showcase cloud computing technologies that address Big Data challenges;
- Northwestern, NCBI and BioNimbus demonstrating the use of 100 Gb connectivity to move large genomics data sets across the country;
- Visualization of international and national research collaborations via WorldView to make complex, network data easily accessible; and
- Four major research collaborations for the “Enlighten Your Research-Global” program.
To support all the scientists, researchers and the Network Research Exhibitions at SC13, Internet2 deployed three, 100 Gigabit Ethernet links on its SDN-based Advanced Layer 2 Service and Advanced Layer 3 Services. In addition, Internet2 staff co-chaired the SCinet Wide-Area-Networking committee and contributed to the SCinet effort to measure and characterize the performance of the network. The SCinet network, created each year for the conference, is a very high capacity network that supports the revolutionary applications and experiments that are a hallmark of every SC conference.
Internet2 is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation’s leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research, and community service missions. Internet2 also operates the nation’s largest and fastest, coast-to-coast research and education network, and serves more than 90,000 research and educational institutions, including more than 245 U.S. universities, 70 government agencies, 38 regional and state education networks, 60 leading corporations working with our community and more than 100 national research and education networking partners representing more than 50 countries. Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, MI; Emeryville, CA; Washington, DC, and West Hartford, CT.