FRANKFURT, Germany — The ISC High Performance conference has introduced the PhD Forum, which allows PhD students to present their research results in a setting that sparks the exchange of scientific knowledge and lively discussions. The call is now open, and interested students are encouraged to submit their proposals by February 15, 2016.
The PhD Forum will be held on the first conference day, Monday, June 20. It will consist of two parts: a set of back-to-back three-minute lightning talks followed by an hour-worth of poster session. The lightning talks are intended as a quick, to-the-point presentation of research objectives and early results, while the posters will provide more in-depth information as a starting point for deeper discussions.
Here are the important deadlines:
- Submission Due: Monday, February 15, 2016, 11:59 pm AoE
- Notification of Acceptance: Tuesday, March 15, 2016
- Presentation Slides Due: Monday, May 23, 2016, 11:59 pm AoE
- PhD Forum: Monday, June 20, 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Topics may range from performance analysis to optimization, from tools to applications, and from software engineering to hardware architectures. Essentially, all areas covered in the ISC Call for Research Papers are also accepted for the PhD Forum presentations. The organizers strongly encourage submissions by students in an early phase of their PhD work.
For submission and review process, please visit the Web site. Most importantly, students who wish to participate in the ISC 2016 PhD Forum must not have defended their PhD thesis by the time of the conference.
The submissions will be reviewed by the PhD Forum Program Committee — an international committee of HPC experts, which will select the best submissions for presentation at ISC High Performance.
Awards and Travel Support
The PhD Forum Program Committee will select one student to receive the “ISC 2016 PhD Forum Award,” after the conference. The winner will receive an Apple iPad, sponsored by the ISC conference organizers.
A number of student travel awards, pending final approval by DFG priority program SPPEXA, will be available to the attendees of the PhD Forum.
Everyone attending the conference is encouraged to attend the PhD Forum to engage with future HPC experts, provide valuable feedback, learn about future research developments, and to fathom promising opportunities for collaboration.
ISC Research Papers
The ISC 2016 research paper co-chairs are also pleased to announce the extension of the research paper submission deadline. The new deadline is now December 15, 2015.
High quality research papers reporting original work in theoretical, experimental and industrial research and development are welcome in the following areas:
- Architectures (future design concepts for HPC, multicore/manycore systems, heterogeneous systems, network technology, programming models)
- Algorithms and Analysis (scalability on future architectures, performance evaluation and tuning and innovative domain-specific algorithms)
- Data Centers (batch job management, job mix and system utilization, monitoring and administration tools, production efficiency, energy efficiency)
- Large-Scale Simulations (workflow management, data analysis and visualization, coupled simulations, industrial simulations, scalable applications: 50K+ threads)
- Future Trends (trends in the HPC chip market, exascale HPC, HPC in the cloud)
- Storage and Data (from big data to smart data, memory systems for HPC and big data, file systems and tape libraries, data intensive applications and databases)
- Software Engineering in HPC (the art of parallel programming, application of methods, surveys)
Information on research paper submission guidelines and awards for outstanding submissions is available on the Web site.
About ISC High Performance
Moving into its 31st year, ISC High Performance is the world’s oldest and Europe’s most important conference and networking event for the HPC community. It offers a strong five-day technical program focusing on HPC technological development and its application in scientific fields, as well as its adoption in commercial environments.
Over 400 hand-picked expert speakers and 160 exhibitors, consisting of leading research centers and vendors, will greet attendees at ISC High Performance. A number of events complement the technical program, including Tutorials, the TOP500 announcement, Research Paper sessions, Birds-of-a-Feather (BoF) sessions, Poster sessions, Exhibitor Forums, and Workshops.
ISC High Performance is open to engineers, IT specialists, system developers, vendors, scientists, researchers, students, journalists, and other members of the HPC global community. The exhibition attracts decision-makers from automotive, finance, defense, aeronautical, gas & oil, banking, pharmaceutical and other industries, as well those providing hardware, software and services for the HPC community. Attendees will learn firsthand about new products and applications, in addition to the latest technological advances in the HPC industry.