Here is my list of the five must have qualities of an effective manager, which I shared with the employees of Gen Re (a Berkshire Hathaway company).
I put this list together, as a result of working for some pretty ineffective managers.
1. Strong communicator-Communicate with your people so they always know where they stand.
2. Be trust-worthy-Demonstrate to your people that you always have their best interest in mind.
3. Be humble-Shine the light on others so they get the credit they are due.
4. Compassion-Give people the flexibility they need to handle personal issues that will arise.
5. Sense of humor-Don’t be so serious. Allow people to have fun at work.
From: Roberta’s Blog