1. Select the Best People: You are only as good as the people on your tea.
2. Be a Motivator: Figure out what they want and how you can give that to them for doing what you want them to do.
3. Build Your Team: They have to work together as a team to accomplish the group’s objective.
4. Be a Leader, Not Only a Manager: Motivating a team is worthless unless you provide direction.
5. Improve as a Communicator: Communication may be the single most important skill of a manager.
6. Get Better At Managing Money: That means bringing money in the door and it means spending less than you bring in.
7. Get Better at Managing Time: The one thing you will probably have less of at work than money is time.
8. Improve Yourself: Don’t focus so hard on your people that you forget about yourself.
9. Practice Ethical Management: Enron-like scandals have really driven home the point about how important ethics is in business.
10. Take a Break: You are less effective as a manager if you are over-stressed.
From: F. John Reh, About.com