Public health officials in Calhoun County, Michigan issued a warning Tuesday saying they had discovered giant hogweed in the area.
The local TV affiliate WWMT interviewed Calhoun County’s Environmental Health Director Paul Makoski who said the plant is not deadly, “but can certainly cause you an awful lot of discomfort.”
Giant hogweed emits a very corrosive sap that burns skin when in contact with direct sunlight and can also cause blindness if it gets in someone’s eyes, according to CBS News.
CNN summarized the plant’s origin: “Giant Hogweed is a native of the Caucasus region of Eurasia brought to the U.K. and then the U.S. as – get this – a garden ornamental appreciated for its showy good looks.”
Watch CBS’s report below to learn about how to identify giant hogweed and what the best course of action is when contact is made with the plant.