The 61st R&D 100 Awards program is now open for submissions. The program is open to corporate, government, and academic R&D organizations across the globe, and has been called “The Oscars of Innovation.” First established in 1963, the R&D 100 Awards is the only S&T (science and technology) awards competition that recognizes new commercial products, technologies and materials for their technological significance that are available for sale or license.
Enter now here: https://rd100.secure-platform.com/a. You can also download the Call for Nominations PDF (which includes frequently asked questions) here.
There are six regular categories in the R&D 100, as well as five special recognition categories, including once again for 2023, “Special Recognition: Battling COVID-19.” A given innovation can be entered in both a regular category and any of the special recognition categories — but a separate entry fee is required for each nomination. Special recognition categories are awarded separately from the 100 winners that comprise the R&D 100.
New this year is a slate of R&D Professional Awards. These new awards are aimed at recognizing outstanding individuals and teams who make a difference in research and development organizations across the globe — whether working in corporate, academic, or government institutions. The new award categories are focused on individuals and teams — as opposed to the R&D 100 Awards themselves, which spotlight the best in new technology and products. The winners of the Professional Awards will be announced at the same time as the R&D 100 Awards and will be honored at the gala dinner on November 16th in California.
The judging panel will award finalist designations to selected top nominations. This announcement of finalists is made first, followed by the actual R&D 100 winners several weeks later. This allows all finalists and winners plenty of time to make arrangements to attend the awards banquet and/or conference.
The early-bird deadline for entries is May 4th, 2023. A $450 submission fee applies until that date; nominations finalized after May 4th will be charged a $550 submission fee. The R&D 100 Awards celebration banquet is scheduled for November 16th, 2023 at the Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa, near San Diego.
Categories for 2023 are as follows:
• Analytical Instrumentation (chromatography, spectroscopy, analyzers, etc.)
• Electronic Instrumentation (oscilloscopes, VOMs, spectrum analyzers, digital multimeters, probes, etc.)
• Imaging Systems/Devices (microscopes, cameras, telescopes, binoculars, optics, etc.)
• Testing Systems (hardness, materials, tensile, physical, etc.)
• Laboratory Equipment (fume hoods, cabinets, casework, lab animals, lab automation, balances/
scales, centrifuges, tubing/valves, mixers, etc.)
• Life Sciences (biopharmaceuticals, DNA/RNA systems, food & beverage, genomics, proteomics,
GMO, medical devices, medicine, medical implants, etc.)
• Electrical Devices (motors, switches, lighting systems, etc.)
• Information Technologies (computers, cell phones, printers, storage systems, supercomputers,
computer hardware, operating systems, cloud computing, big data, data mining, data security, etc.)
• Communication Systems/Devices (wireless, broadband, networking systems, routers, wearables,
lidar/radar, space communications, etc.)
• Safety & Security (sensing, detecting, monitoring, alarm systems, access point/portals, isolation
systems, barriers, etc.)
• Beam Instrumentation (x-ray, neutron, proton, gamma ray, etc.)
• Lasers & Photonics (CO2 lasers, solid-state lasers, LEDs, synchrotron items, etc.)
• Chemical & Gases (chemicals, powders, rare gases, reagents, etc.)
• Energy Systems/Components (energy modeling software, fuel cells,hybrid systems, IC engines, nuclear, PV, etc.)
• Environmental Systems/Instruments (carbon capture, filtering systems, mercury capture, pH meters, precipitators, etc.)
• Materials (adhesives, alloys, ceramics, composites, metals, paints, plastics, polymers, etc.)
• Mechanical Systems (air-handling systems, gears, heating and cooling systems, pumps robotics, structural components, thermal devices, transmissions, etc.)
• Thin Film & Vacuum (deposition systems, lithography, semiconductor processing, vacuum pumps/chambers, vacuum valves, etc.)
• Process Systems (mixing, formulating, distilling, baking, coating, etc.)
• Additive Manufacturing (3-D printing, rapid prototyping)
• Supply Chain (management, operations, etc.)
• Process Improvement (design, production, distribution strategies)
• Military/Aerospace/Law Enforcement Devices (air traffic control tech, de-icing solutions, drones, flight simulators, forensic tools, weapons, etc.)
• Safety & Security (alarm systems, access point/portals, barriers, detecting, isolation systems, sensing, monitoring, etc.)
• Software (chemistry, process and analysis, reporting, simulation, visualization)
• Any Products or Services that do NOT fall into the above stated categories may be entered here.
Special Recognition: Corporate Social Responsibility
This award honors organizational efforts to be a greater corporate member of society, from a local
to global level. Good works criteria may include, but isn’t limited to, efforts to curb carbon footprint
reduction, efforts in third-world countries, better prosthetics for wounded soldiers, LEED green
building certification, local fundraising efforts, scholarship programs and involvement and/or
contributions to the STEM community.
Special Recognition: Green Tech
From an engineering and societal perspective, efficiency and environmental factors play an
increasingly important role in the world today. R&D World wants to recognize those innovations that
help make our environment greener and our goal towards energy reduction closer.
Special Recognition: Market Disruptor – Products
This award is designed to highlight any product from any category as one that has changed the game
in any industry. No matter what the specific product is, the focus should be on industry impact. Was
your product a game changer in the last year?
Special Recognition: Market Disruptor – Services
This award is designed to highlight any service from any category as one that forever changed the
R&D industry or a particular vertical within the industry. No matter what the specific service is, the
focus should be on industry impact.
Special Recognition: Battling COVID-19
This award is designed to highlight any innovation that was employed to battle the worldwide COVID-19
pandemic. This is not limited to medical or pharmaceutical entries — newly developed products and
services as diverse as software, safety equipment or AI that had an impact will be considered.
R&D Professional Awards categories:
R&D Researchers of the Year
The Researchers of the Year award will recognize engineers and scientists doing exceptional work as part of a team or small group. Prospective winners will be evaluated on previous awards and recognitions, volunteer work, mentorship, and other outreach participation.
R&D Leaders of the Year
This award celebrates R&D leaders who have consistently performed exceptional work and successfully managed teams, laboratories, departments, or organizations to reliably deliver scientific and technological achievements. Entrants will be judged on their past performance over the long and short term; how they’ve given back to the industry (through mentoring, volunteer work, or other extra efforts); and feedback from current and prior direct reports and colleagues.
R&D Teams of the Year
This award celebrates R&D teams that have collectively contributed to their fields and consistently demonstrated the ability to leverage members’ different strengths. Teams will be judged on their overall track record of producing technological successes and how well they demonstrate the ability to foster a collaborative environment of mutual respect.
R&D Sustainability Innovators of the Year
The Sustainability Innovators of the Year award honors R&D pacesetters who have helped their organizations prioritize sustainability in their processes and final products. Entrants will exhibit a personal passion for sustainability along with colleague-verified dedication to initiating and upholding these initiatives.
R&D Technicians of the Year
This award celebrates R&D technicians who have consistently performed exceptional work and demonstrated the ability to execute projects in both individual and team settings. Nominees should exemplify professionalism and a dedication to their field; technological achievement where applicable as demonstrated by awards and other recognitions; and support of the industry through mentoring, volunteer work, or other extra efforts. Special consideration will be given to nominees who have come to be indispensable to their organization.
Nominations may be made from March 10th through June 1st at this link: https://rd100.secure-platform.com/a.
Tell Us What You Think!